General networking and discussion for those with like minds in the field of self protection and self defense.

HomeFAQMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Share | 

Firemans carry.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mike2010

PostSubject: Firemans carry.   Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:55 pm

Hi guys, i've been searching the web but can't find any decent videos for how to do this (i.e. Youtube A-B-C stage ones).

There are references to Army training manuals, but pictures don't really cut it. I've been practising on the gf and can get her up from the 'seated' position, but can't figure out how to get in front of her to get her on my shoulders.

Really have no reasons for learning this, apart from that it's manly as fuck and will let me carry unconscious drinking buddies out of the clutches of fat women. Or explosions and stuff.

I'll have a better look myself tomorrow, if anyone has any good material it'd be interesting though. A lot of the stuff online fell into the trap we see in SP of the compliant training partne. Some of the videos were a downright liability (having actually tried unsuccesfully on my gf I would expect a panic stricken person would struggle to lift someone their own weight..).

Cheers!

Edit: If someone was unconscious the last thing i'd do is move them, I just wondered how to do this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sharif H
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Firemans carry.   Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:08 am

I'd be interested too. Last time I tried to pick up an unconscious body I almost broke my back. I'm thinking that if picking them up just isn't happening, then maybe dragging is the next best thing?? (for serious worst-case-scenario stuff of course)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard

PostSubject: Re: Firemans carry.   Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:37 am

Or if they're really fat, get behind then and start rolling them. Very Happy

Some military vests have handles on the upper back for the purpose of dragging people actually. Dragging by the clothes may not work as well though. Might have to use some type of wrestling grip?

Seems mostly relevant in case of fires and such things.

I'm not sure about the firemans lift. I know it but I don't. guess you got to get the arm up and sit them up a bit first, then get the leg and get the hip on the shoulder and stand up. Sort of like lifting a sack. Lift and use the momentum to shift it a little so it's right or something. I don't know... haven't done it in aaaages so I'm half-guessing here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MattR

PostSubject: Re: Firemans carry.   Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:46 am

Good luck with it! Look forward the video evidence.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard

PostSubject: Re: Firemans carry.   Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:56 am

Why does the thought of experimental firemans lifting make me immediately get an image of a Benny Hill sketch in my mind? I can hear the music, which BTW is awesome. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mike2010

PostSubject: Re: Firemans carry.   Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:20 pm

Ok, sorry guys, but in terms of answers you lot just gave me the square root of fuck all, lol.

For reference, firemen don't use it any more, because it's easier to sit them up and drag them outfrom behind (and the casualty doesn't get the head-height smoke inhalation problems).

Shar, try it next lesson you have for a bit of fun when everyone's warmed up. Get the biggest guy to try and get the smallest guy/girl on his shoulders whilst they are fully limp. Prepare to laugh.

Hollywood makes it look oh so easy!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mike2010

PostSubject: Re: Firemans carry.   Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:22 pm

Might give this a go next time (Mrs.2010 isn't in tonight). This differs because you lift them from their stomach.. Not the sitting position that is usually shown.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mike2010

PostSubject: Re: Firemans carry.   Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:29 pm

No progress made but this caught my attention:

http://artofmanliness.com/2011/03/29/hero-training-the-carry-a-person-to-safety-workout/

Totally irrelevant as usual to the actual aim. But fair do's.

They linked to this:

http://artofmanliness.com/2011/03/29/how-to-perform-the-firemans-carry/comment-page-1/#comment-143317

Which isn't much better than a kick in the tits. Actually, have I already been there? Deja Vu.

Honestly, you guys that had military training - How DID you do it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sharif H
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Firemans carry.   Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:24 pm

lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Russ
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Firemans carry.   Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:57 pm

Mike2010 wrote:
I've been practising on the gf and can get her up from the 'seated' position, but can't figure out how to get in front of her to get her on my shoulders.

scratch

hmmm...time for alcoholics anonymous me thinks--or is it something else i shouldn't ask about affraid

seriously...squat down, rap arm around your head whilst squatting--with other arm under armpit hoisting, then as you grab with your free arm around the thigh area and prepare to position a person over your shoulders...be prepared to fall over and wonder why the fark firemen did away with the technique Laughing

okay okay, sorry...forgive me...i had to. i used to rely on this as a quasi playful grappler's move among the awake and thrashing [amongst rough-housing with friends]. the reason was that it corresponds to a 'shoulder-wheel' in judo. it's easy enough to do since the awakened types are already standing for you. wheel them over on their backs, run, and pray they don't catch you. in that case it's grab a wrist, dig your shoulder into their waiste whilst they topple into position. mostly i'd run with them up there and have a heart not to drop them. you made me have a flash back. i did that as an eccentric gesture often--even when i remotely knew someone just to give that "FUCK" moment. i could get a pretty good speed going. not sure if i ever had a logical reason for finding this so funny... Shocked

View user profile

Firemans carry.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1